05 Apr Trends in Cosmetic Surgery: Bigger Bottoms, Smoother Skin, Men’s Surgeries
According to a recent release from the American Society of Plastic Surgeons (ASPS) the emerging trends in 2014 were buttock augmentations, and that they are among the fastest-growing trends in cosmetic surgery.
The top surgical procedures performed on patients’ buttocks were:
- Buttock augmentation with fat grafting (11,505 procedures, up 15 percent from 2013 to 2014)
- Buttock implants (1,863 procedures up 98 percent from 2013 to 2014)
- Buttock lift (3,505 procedures up 44 percent from 2013 to 2014)
Another popular procedure is microdermabrasion, which nearly doubled. Among other things, this procedure can help patients who suffer from acne scarring.
One of the most surprising trends is the rise in men’s cosmetic surgeries.
“Male plastic surgery rates have significantly increased since 2000 and the notion that cosmetic procedures are just for women no longer exists,” said Dr. Scot Glasberg, MD, President of the ASPS. “Men are seeking to regain a more youthful look, improve their self-image and feel better about their appearance. It is great that plastic surgeons have procedures to meet and often exceed their expectations.”
The top male-focused procedures were:
- Pectoral implants (1,054 procedures – increased 208 percent from 2013 to 2014)
- Male breast reductions (26,175 procedures in 2014 – increased 29 percent since 2000)